History

history brick 400pxHoly Family Parish has been blessed with many tireless and generous parishioners who over the years, through their time, talents and contributions to Thanksgiving have developed the parish to what it is today.

In 1956 Father Leo Ryan, parish Priest of St. Leonard's, Glen Waverley, negotiated the purchase of two and five eighths acres of land on the east side of Stephensons Road, which is now part of the present site of the Holy Family Parish complex.

A building was completed in early 1957 which could be used as a hall or as school rooms, by means of folding wall panels. There was also provision for a sacristy and a sanctuary that could be enclosed when not in use.

Father Curley was appointed Parish Priest in January, 1958. In 1962 the present presbytery was built and it was refurbished in December, 1995 with the south wing being converted to offices and reception room.

insidechurch front 400In September 1966, the hall and chapel were formally opened and blessed. The main hall which was used for Mass before the Church was built and what is now described as the small hall, was also refurbished. A new kitchen, capable of catering for functions of any size, was included.

The original plan for Holy Family primary school of 15 classrooms was completed in 1968. The school had a major refurbishment in 1988.

Holy Family church was blessed an opened by Archbishop Little in 1976 and in August 1992, the foyer was enclosed and carpeted. A central aisle was formed in the church in 1995 and additional lighting fixtures put in place. In 1999 Holy Family celebrated 40 years established as a Parish.

 

history plaque 400px

Parish Priests

Father T. Frank Curley 1958 - 1983
Father Kevin M. Sweeney 1983 - 1994
Father Peter Conroy 1995 - 2000
Father Paddy Duggan 2001 - 2005
Father John Dowling 2005 - 2011
Father Roger Ryan 2011 - 2011
Father Laurence Cortez 2012 - 2015
Father Nicholas Pearce Parish Administrator (Current)